The Floral Category Manager is a floral expert, responsible for helping Store Directors, Produce Department Managers, and team members grow their business. This position will present and facilitate the implementation of programs, processes, and methods to all floral members. It will also include the negotiation and cost effective procurement of all products sold in the Floral Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide training, guidance, and coaching to Produce/Floral Department members and Produce Managers. This will include demonstrating the proper techniques for care & handling and merchandising of all items for sale.
- Facilitate and supervise all merchandising activities in the department, both indoors and outdoors.
- Establish and ensure proper execution of corporate programs at store level, assuring conformity with safety, customer service, merchandising, and pricing program goals.
- Review with Store Directors, Produce managers, and team members, projected sales, gross profit margin, expense control, and operating profit objectives; helping to ensure budgeted goals are met.
- Establish partnerships and negotiate with wholesale suppliers that will enable us to grow sales and profit performance.
- Seek out all local items available in all markets where we currently have stores and any new markets we will be entering.
- Continually inspect and assess all incoming goods, as it relates to Fresh Thyme, to ensure that the quality is within Fresh Thyme specifications.
- Manage purchase decisions and order fulfillment with a daily goal to achieve a 100% fill rate.
- Monitor and report items/categories/business trends in the industry & maintain awareness of market trends, technology, & weather across all categories & growing regions.
- Maintain awareness of Fresh Thyme’s marketing strategies, competitor’s activities, & their pricing.
- Conducts post promotional analysis to track sales and ensure proper projections for future promotions.
- Maintains and reviews price files of competitive price checks to ensure we have costs that allow us to be priced competitively within each market we operate.
- Extensive retail knowledge of the operations in the floral department.
- Previously or currently a successful upper management member or executive of a floral department, wholesale business, or retail corporation.
- A valid driver’s license. (This position requires travel to various store locations and offices on a regular basis).
- Use of Microsoft Office applications and adapt to procurement systems software for ordering, inventory and vendor management.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5+ years of floral industry experience.
- Previous experience in a natural foods retail industry is a plus.
- Financial, mathematical, statistical and consumer research experience preferred to read, interpret and understand how internal and external factors influence financial results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever-changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative for making appropriate decisions and have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for maintaining effective business relationships with peers, senior management, customers, and vendors.
- Must have advanced knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Possesses the ability to read and interpret profit and loss statements and understand how the categories managed are affected.
- Has excellent people skills for training and communicating with customers and stores; requires a high level of patience.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Prolonged sitting in front of a computer.
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Travel when necessary.