Are you passionate about the retail grocery market and organic products? Are you a leader? Are you ready to join one of the fastest growing companies in the retail grocery market? If so, Fresh Thyme Farmers Market is the place for you! Our unique business model, fast paced and growing environment, promote from within culture, and excellent benefits make Fresh Thyme the best employer in the grocery market. Careers have been growing at Fresh Thyme since our inception in 2012 - yours should be no different!
The Director of Food Service & Merchandising is responsible for achieving budgeted sales and margin targets by implementing his/her strategic plan to improve produce quality, variety and costs. This position will also lead and mentor a team of Category Managers while building collaborative relationships with the Marketing, Procurement and Supply Chain departments.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Develops merchandising and marketing strategies and tactics that will increase sales and margin for the Food Service Department.
• Ensures that all sales and margin targets for the Food Service Department are achieved.
• Establishes Vendor and Inventory Management processes that maximize supplier performance and minimize supply chain costs.
• Manages strategies of development for entire department including Bakery, Deli, Cheese, Sliced Meats and Commissary.
• Implementation of departmental offerings including product selection, meal development and overall market strategies.
• Responsible for implementation and adherence to specific Federal, State and Company sanitation guidelines.
• Negotiates and executes weekly ad flyer sales and specific company programs.
• Responsible to proactively initiate ideas and suggestions specific to each market.
• Development and leadership for departmental team.
• Provides forecasting information that ensures exceptional in-stock performance by our vendors and DC.
• Champions assortment and pricing optimization processes that increase sales/margin while reducing inventory.
• Maximizes collection of marketing funds in support of Fresh Thyme Markets advertising programs.
• Provides creative input in support of new merchandising and marketing initiatives.
• Recruits, trains and develops category management staff.
• Develops succession plan and prepares “high potential” associates for career advancement.
• Collaborates and works with all support functions.
• Has a passion for Retail and our Customers!
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• Ideal 10+ years retail experience in Grocery/Food Service department processes and procedures with an emphasis in category management, merchandising, and sourcing.
• Previous experience in grocery required, natural foods industry preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in a business or marketing related field required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
• Ability to adapt to the ever-changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
• Must have the capacity to take initiative for making appropriate decisions and have strong analytical and problem solving skills; use independent judgment to take immediate corrective action.
• Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
• Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for maintaining effective business relationships with peers, senior management, customers, and vendors.
• Must have advance knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
• Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
• Must be able to lead, support and contribute to team goals.
• Must have advanced knowledge of the grocery retail industry and category management processes.
• Must have demonstrated the ability to build, mentor, motivate, support and lead a team.
• Possess visionary traits and leadership, which identify future opportunities for revenue and profit growth.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
• Prolonged sitting in front of a computer.
• The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
• Requires half of time in an office environment and the other half in a store environment.
• The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
• Requires ability to travel up to 25%.